What is FSSAI License ?
FSSAI Stands for “Food Safety and Standard Authority of India. FSSAI is an Independent organization under the Ministry of Health. FSSAI Registration is mandatory for every individuals or entity that is eligible for an FSSAI food safety Registration or License.
Importance of FSSAI License ?
Maintaining the food quality levels in order to ensure safety and providing satisfaction to every consumer is the aim of every Food Business Operator. Food safety and standards authority of India (FSSAI Registration) plays an important role in formulating the controlling procedures.
FSSAI License Registration Procedure ?
There are 4 steps including fssai license registration procedure that are following:-
- Selection of Kind of Business
- Selection of Food Category
- Selection of Type of License
- Issue of Certificate
FSSAI License Registration Documents ?
Common Documents Required for Obtaining FSSAI Registration
- FSSAI declaration
- Photo Identity of FBO
- Proof of possession of premises (eg. Rental Agreement)
- Partnership Deed / Certificate of Incorporation / Articles of Association etc.
- List of food products to be dealt with.
- Food safety management system plan
Type of FSSAI License Registration ?
- Basic registration: It Includes Business Having Turnover up to 12 Lakh in a Year
- State license: Business having turnover between 12 lakh to 20 cr in a year comes under state license
- Central license: Business having turnover above 20 cr comes under central license, any business doing export and import also come under central license
How to Get FSSAI License for Online Food Selling Business ?
FSSAI has extended its scope to include the applications of e-commerce food services. This category includes delivery services such as Uber Eats, Swiggy and Zomato and online grocery stores such as amazon, Big Basket, etc. Of late, the food e-commerce sector has grown tremendously. As these platforms operate widely, it is important for these services to ensure compliance with FSSAI.
What is Good Food Hygiene Practices for Restaurants as Per FSSAI ?
- Cleaning :- Working area and equipment/ utensils should be cleaned appropriately.
- Water Supply :- There should be an adequate supply of potable water. The water should be examined chemically and bacteriologically by a NABL accredited laboratory. Ice and steam wherever in use should be made from the same portable water.
- Raw Materials :- Certain FSSAI guidelines should be followed in the handling and preparation of raw materials
What are all the things that the hotel will be careful while preparation of non veg product ?
- Raw meat and processed meat should be kept separate from other food items.
- The used surface should be adequately cleaned with anti- bacterial agents.
What is the Guideline Issued by FSSAI about Food Preparation Area ?
Cooking and frying should be done under chimney having an appropriate suction capacity.
How to file Annual Return ?
- Only Merchant Exporter can file Quarterly annual report through online system
- FBO manufacturing Milk and/or Milk products shall file half yearly return in the Form D-2 and submit it manually to the to the concerned Central/State licensing Authority for the periods 1st April to 30th September and 1st October to 31st March of every financial within a month from the end of the period
- (Manufacturers and Importers) have to file Annual Return (Form D-1) and submit it manually to the concerned Central/State licensing Authority on or before 31st May of each year for each class of food handled by him during the previous financial year.
What are the Criteria for FSSAI Registration ?
- Registrations are granted to small or petty FBOs whose annual turn- over does not exceed Rs. 12 lakhs.
- Registrations are granted by the Registering Authority who may be Designated Officer/ Food Safety Officer or any official in Panchayat, Municipal Corporation or any other local body or Panchayat in an area, notified by the State Food Safety Commissioner.
- Documents required while applying for a Registration:-
- Application in Schedule-1
- Fees @Rs. 100/- per annum
- Address proof (Government documents like Voter ID card)
- Photograph of applicant
- Registration Card should be exhibited at a prominent place of business premise.
Which FSSAI License is Required by a Food Business Operator to Run a Food Business in more than Two States ?
Food Business Operator operating in more than two States has to get Central License for its registered Office/ Head Office and separate license/ Registration for each units depending upon the capacity/ turnover from the concerned State/ Central Licensing Authority.
Who will Issue License to Food Business Operators Under Railways Premises ?
FSSAI license/Registration for food premises under Railways are issued by the Railways Designated Officers/FSO notified by Food Authority from time to time.
Who will Issue License to Food Business Operators Under Airport/Seaport Premises ?
FSSAI license for food premises in Airport/Seaport are issues by APHO/PHO notified by Food Authority from time to time through Online FLRS system
In what Circumstances Application will be Rejected ?
Licensing Officer can reject the application in the case when the required information is not provided within the stipulated time of 30 days
Do medical stores need to get a license if they are selling dietary foods and Neutraceuticals ?
All Food Business Operators - FBO including medical stores have to get FSSAI license/registration.
What is the fee for modification of license ?
Any change that alters the information contained in the license certificate (Form C) shall apply for modification of license with the fee equivalent to one year license fee. No fee is required for modification of non Form C details.
Repetition of IEC Code of Importer ?
An importer cannot submit another application with same IEC code that he has already submitted until and unless he deletes the incomplete/application already submitted
How can a Consumer Register his Complaint or Grievance ?
Consumers can connect to FSSAI through various channels. Consumers can register their complaints and feedbacks about food safety issues related to adulterated food, unsafe food, substandard food, labelling defects in food and misleading claims & advertisements related to various food products.
For whom it is mandatory to obtain Central License from central Licensing Authority ?
Dairy units including chilling units- handle or process more than 50,000
litres of liquid milk per day or 2500MT of milk solid per annum.
Vegetable oil processing units and units producing vegetable oil by the process of solvent extraction and refineries including oil expeller unit having installed capacity more than 2 MT per day.
All slaughter houses equipped to slaughter more than 50 large animals or 150 or more small animals including sheep and goats or 1000 or more poultry birds per day.
Meat processing units equipped to handle or process more than 500 kg of meat per day or 150 MT per annum.
All food processing units other than mentioned under (a) to (d) including relabellers and repackers having installed capacity more than 2 MT/day except grains, cereals and pulses milling units.
100 % Export Oriented Units.
All Importers importing food items including food ingredients and additives for commercial use.
All food business operators manufacture any article of food containing ingredients or substances or using technologies or processes or combination thereof whose safety has not been established through these regulations or which do not have a history of safe use or food containing ingredients which are being introduced for the first time into the country.
Food Business Operator operating in two or more states.
Food catering services in establishments and units under Central government
Agencies like Railways, Air and airport, Seaport, Defence etc.
Storage units other than those having controlled atmosphere and cold environment having capacity of more than 50,000 MT.
Cold or Refrigerated Storage having capacity of more than 10,000 MT. Controlled Atmosphere + Cold Storage having capacity of more than 1,000 MT.
Wholesalers having turnover of more than Rs.30 crores per annum.
Retailers having turnover of more than Rs.20 crores per annum.
Distributors having turnover of more than Rs.20 crores per annum.
Suppliers having turnover of more than Rs.20 crores per annum.
Caterers having turnover of more than Rs.20 crores per annum.
Hotels – Five Star & Above.
Restaurants having turnover of more than Rs.20 crores per annum.
Transporters having more than 100 vehicles or turnover of more than Rs.30 crores per annum.
Marketers having turnover of more than Rs.20 crores per annum.
Who Need FSSAI Food Safety License
The primary step for FSSAI Food safety Registration and Licensing is identifying the nature of business structure. There are various kinds of business like Manufacturer, Repacker, Retailer, Distributer, Supplier, Marketer, Importer, Exporter, Ecommerce, Wholesaler, Restaurant, Canteen, Mess, Food vending establishment, Food vending agencies, Petty Retailer for Tea and Snacks.